Before we get started, I just want to let the record show that I, Shaun Keay, was not at the game yesterday. I chose a weekend golfing trip to Prince Edward Island with my old man & the gang instead of striking out a few times against the Brewers with the rest of the SweatSox. Fortunately, I have been able to gather a fair amount of information through the live broadcast and team chat, so the rest of this story will seem like I was there. But I wasn’t. I’m in P.E.I. Still apparently eating potatoes.
Well, it was only a matter of time before the team that does everything right off the field faced off against the team that does everything right on the field in an actual NCBL regular season game. For the first time in non-tournament play, the SweatSox suited up against the Nepean Brewers yesterday afternoon in the sun at Kinsmen.
Brewers Gameday : vs the Sweat Sox, 3:30pm, Kinsmen.#ncbl
— Nepean Brewers (@nepeanbrewers) May 29, 2016
Despite never officially crossing paths before, the SweatSox and Brewers share a bit of history, and have even shared a few players over the years. Here are a few notes/thoughts heading into Sunday’s monumental clash of champions:
- The SweatSox and Brewers have combined for 648 regular season wins, 11 championships, and 3 Brewer tournament titles.
- Both teams won championships in 2013.
- Cory Bond, Mark Bond, Marcel Levac, and Daniel Villeneuve are the only players to suit up for both teams.
- Our GLE owns the following Nepean Brewer pitching records: single tournament ERA, career tournament ERA, career ERA, single tournament winning %, career tournament winning %, career winning %, single tournament no-hitter %, career tournament no-hitter %, and career no-hitter %.
- Both teams have combined to host 15 tournaments, plus half a rained out one.
- The SweatSox and Brewers hold 4 of the 13 NCBL Executive Positions.
- The SweatSox and Brewers have combined to win several individual NCBL Awards, including:
- 14 MVP’s
- 11 Sportsmen
- 4 Pitcher of the Year’s
- 3 Finals MVP’s
- 2 Batter of the Year’s
- 2 Manager of the Year’s
- 2 Rookie of the Year’s
So which team would record combined win #649? If the top of the 1st inning was any indication, which included a leadoff two-base error and a Jason Krottner grand slam, the question was no longer which team would win, but how much the Brewers would win by. The Brewers bitch slapped the SweatSox so quick & hard, I could literally hear a baby crying in the SweatSox dugout all the way from P.E.I.
The SweatSox and Brewers would go on to combine for 14 runs on 19 hits with 6 errors, with the Brewers squeaking out a 13-1 win. Mark Stinson, who missed the game for new homeowner reasons, saw the glass half full: “Made it to 6 today”.
FINAL (6 innings): Brewers 13. SweatSox 1.
— SweatSox (@SweatSox) May 29, 2016
Final SweatSox vs Brewers Notes/Thoughts:
- Armando Navarro missed this historic matchup so he could coach a soccer practice.
- Kent Johnston pretended to run a marathon earlier in the day so he wouldn’t have to play in the heat.
- The Braves couldn’t find the hole.
- Bill Beelen got his hands dirty and found the hole no problem.
- The hole was exactly 90 feet from home plate.
- Chris Lidstone may have a future in toe gum removal.
- The SweatSox outfield out-error’d the SweatSox infield.
- GLE and Cop’s dad was so disgusted with what he saw on the field, he left after just half an inning.
- Jason Klein is a sausage-making prodigy.
- Marc Lett’s kid does all the strokes.
- Docking will not be a SweatLympic event.
- Mark Bond didn’t like the kind of sausage fest that was happening and left.
- With chairs, much like prostitutes, you have to pay extra for the extra hole.
- Josh Ramage got a boner on Techno’s line drive catch at Allen.
- Church sex is fine, but 69 is off limits.
- Chris Lidstone has spent most his life living in a gangster’s paradise.
- If you take your drivers license picture hungover and then get pulled over by the cops late at night, they’ll think you look normal.
- Cory Bond’s car got manscented, while Dillon Lowry’s got birdscented.
- Chris and Mindy’s wedding is going to be epic.
- I arrived back in town at exactly 10:23pm.
Next up for the SweatSox is our first ever matchup with the Capital City Cubs Tuesday night in Kanata (how convenient for me).
Bonus Coverage: Can you guess which member of the SweatSox committed this fashion faux pas?