Last Thursday night, the Nepean Brewers hosted the Stittsville SweatSox at the Sportsplex for our second head to head matchup of the season. The first game didn’t exactly go as planned for the SweatSox, losing 13-1 in a mercy shortened 6 inning beatdown. Hoping to avoid a similar fate, or a 7-0 default, the SweatSox hit the waiver wire and signed Pinecrest Alumni Joe Majic to hopefully spark us to at least a #notamercy. Majic, a lifetime .346 hitter and part of the SweatSox rookie class of 2005, played 80 games for us over 7 seasons, but hadn’t “put his pants on” since June 8, 2012, a 5-2 Sox win (GLE) over the Aylmer Pirates at Aydelu, a game where I, Shaun Keay, had 3 walks and somehow the only 2 stolen bases.
Sweat Sox add : Joe Majic.#ncbltransactions
— NCBL (@ncbl) June 30, 2016
The game was a competitive one for a while, until there were 2 outs in the bottom of the 4th inning to be exact. Starting pitcher Josh Ramage was throwing a no hitter (+1BB) up to that point, a 0-0 game; but a base hit to left opened the floodgates, and 5 straight Brewer batters came around to score. Over the next 2 innings, the Brewers outscored the SweatSox 6-3, ultimately winning the game 11-3. We’re making progress!
An honourable mention goes out to Chris Lidstone, who’s found a new home in RF and made all 3 outs back-to-back-to-back in the 6th, including 2 spectacular running catches near and into foul territory; the third was pretty routine, even for us. #F9
FINAL: Brewers 11. SweatSox 3.
— SweatSox (@SweatSox) July 1, 2016
The Après Baseball Hyjinx included a visit from a couple Panthers who were still lurking around the parking lot after their apparent double header win earlier in the night against the Outlaws. We learned that one of them lives near where Armando Navarro has soccer practice, and the other sometimes sees things a little sideways:
— Panthers (@PMA_Panthers) July 1, 2016
Final SweatSox vs Nepean Brewers II Notes/Thoughts:
- When the Brewers are the home team at the Sportsplex, they need the 1st base dugout, or else.
- I, Shaun Keay, need to check my DM’s more regularly during our games.
- Josh Ramage had a Dillon Lowry Spite Double.
- Joe Majic has the 2nd highest batting average on the team this year.
- Joe Majic has the worst fielding percentage on the team this year.
- Adam Oattes may have a slab of pine tar in his pocket when he pitches. Or someone on our team has an excessive amount on his bat.
- Eric White “sold” Chris Lidstone a “broken” bat.
- Chris Lidstone argued a safe call, where he was the one who was called safe.
- Geoff Magnus tried taking a break from SS, but was forced to return when his backup couldn’t handle the workload.
- Always listen to the 3rd thing Armando Navarro tells you on the field. Ignore the first two instructions.
- Driving from Perth to the Sportsplex in 30 minutes or less is impossible.
- Driving from Manotick to the Sportsplex in 30 minutes + half an inning is possible.
- Despite being in the starting lineup, Cory Bond does not get credit for a game played.
- Craig Cornell committed 2* errors.
- Kent Johnston is your new SweatSox Ironman with 10 straight games played.
- The views, opinions, and graphic nature of Mindy’s tweets do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Stittsville SweatSox, or any of its players.
- Kevin Benjamin and Joe Majic are big fans of the site.
- The River Hawks are not happy about the suspensions they received after #HiddenBallTrickGate.
- SweatSox and Panthers management have a handshake agreement for the return of the Alliance.
- Down a pitcher for the rest of the year, the Panthers may have purchased Josh Ramage for $300.
- Chris and Mindy have known each other since they were 10 years old; unless they didn’t.
- It’s highly unlikely that Chris and Mindy are related.
- “You can’t get pregnant if you swallow”.
- Boys on the left. Girls on the right.
- Still auditioning for an appearance on the mound in Tier 1, Craig Cornell was dropping deuces after the game.
- Jason Klein needs to work on his chair smashing.
- “Last Call” for Sportsplex parking lot lighting is 12:30am.
- Jason Klein asked Kent Johnston how much he makes.
- Mrs. Techno knows how to handle the stick.
- If a Bond on our team was going to be nicknamed “BrokeBack”, my money would’ve been on Cop.
- If Bill Beelen were to ever step down, I’d absolutely support this man as your new NCBL Commissioner:
Next up for the SweatSox is a matchup with the Outlaws Monday night at McCarthy. The SweatSox might have a chance at a victory, because if the Outlaws still want to drop to Tier 2 with us next year, they need a major losing streak sooner rather than later to help their cause.
Missed any game recaps so far this season? Catch up here:
Haven’t seen the updated SweatSox stats? Check out the new stats page, updated minutes after each game: